Thursday, September 10, 2026

Finishing touches on Masa paper: Using pastels and watercolor pencils

 

PASTELS AND PENCIL to add details:


After you have painted as much as you can, and the painting has been mounted and dry, you can darken or lighten areas with paint, pastels, or watercolor pencil.

Here's a little show and tell from class. Each project was so unique and beautiful.

My petunias before enhanced with pastels and after:


            I used some watercolor pencils and inktense pencils to darken the flower centers and make some dark greens in negative spaces. I added a little pastel to some of the flowers, and dragged a dark pastel across the shadow of the pot. I added some light green pastel to some of the leaves that had gotten too dark. I also darkened some of the wood grain with some pastel.
Carol L.


Carol's cropped a bit to make it more interesting. I think she used some
pastels in some of the yellow and dark areas and some pencil between petals.


Meg: That table looks like it has the sun shining on it.



Lydia freehanded all of this. She has some pastel to enhance the flowers, I think. WC pencil in the darks to create some hard edges. 


Judy's woodpecker.


Jackie's panda. Used white pastel around the face to make it furry. Dark pencil for the eyes and mouth, with some white gel pen for highlight in the eyes. Some pastel black on some of the fur.


Barb: most of these vibrant colors are in watercolor with some ink outlining. Mostly used a bit of pastel to add some orange to the petals and to add white specks in the centers.


Sylvia's background blends so well with the foreground. It reminds me of antique parchment.


Cathi's has a bit of pen and ink added after it was mounted and dried.


Robby's lemon's are so fun, they pracically painted themselves. She didn't need
any more enhancement at all.


Sara negative painted some darks around the flowers and leaves to balance out the dark in the foreground. There is some blue pastel over the dark and brown areas. I like how the dark moves you through the picture now.


Pam's parrot only needed a few minor touches. She used some pastel to lighten the wood stump and give it texture. Black WC pencil on the beak, and a few dark touches to the legs and body. 




Carol S just got started, but it looks good already. I'll post the finished one when she finishes it.


I still need Francis' deer, Shirley's hummingbird, and Vicki's sunflowers, hopefully next week.




No comments: