Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Masa Paper Sunflower continued

Finished Sunflower

After gluing down the paper and drying it, I did a few more details. I wanted it to appear to be in a field of sunflowers, but I didn't want those to be important. So I painted them in, but did not ink any of it.

I also wanted to try out some water soluble fine tip pens, which I inked onto the dark green leaves, then brushed over them with water. 





I want to brag on my class, so here are some results from students. Enjoy!

Dariel did a tree from her back yard. This went up so quickly! 


This is Jackie's wolf. The log/ground underneath was just dry-brushed over the wrinkles in the paper. She did such a great job, using less realistic colors.


Judy made her background look a bit more impressionistic and subtle, which complements the foreground sunflowers.


Pat's not finished, but I like the way she dry-brushed the background to make the flower stand out, taking advantage of masa paper's natural wrinkles.


Vicki's abstract sunflowers in the lower background are really effective in giving
a feeling of depth.


Barb used some super saturated paints from Plaza called ViViva Color Sheets. It's actually more like a staining watercolor ink, and the colors are gorgeously vivid.

Dolores did magnolia blossoms, and they look so loose and amazing, like she's channeling Monet.


Dorothy didn't like the "patchiness" of her background, and pulled it all together with a light
magenta wash. 


Shirley started a basket of veggies from her daughter's garden. Not finished yet,
but looking good.


Rita, from Friday's class, decided to try non-traditional colors, and it looks like
it's made from stained glass.


There were a few more that I didn't get photos of, so sorry. I love how masa paper lends itself to so many subjects. 

No comments: