Thursday, May 2, 2019

BEE PAPER REVIEW

LOOKING FOR A LESS EXPENSIVE PAPER ALTERNATIVE FOR "PRACTICE"

I've spent some time looking at different reviews of different papers, hoping to find SOMETHING that students can use "just for practice" or "just for color testing." I am hooked on using the best, and get frustrated when using other papers. But I understand the cost of good cotton rag paper can be daunting. So I continue to look for a paper that will give a good watercolor experience without breaking the bank. I've been reading about Bee paper, and decided to give it a try.

Below are some of the results of my trials.



This Bee paper is 140 pound, 100% cotton rag, and is archival, so that was a promising start. I ordered a pack of 50  6" by 9" sheets from Amazon Prime for $13.99, the same price as a 12-sheet pad of Arches 9 x 12. (So you get about double the amount of paper). It does come in 22 x 30 sheets, but I have not tried that yet, for reasons I'll get into.

I tested for eight different qualities that I ask for in a paper:

1. How smoothly does the paint flow onto the paper?
2. Can I do wet-into-wet techniques?
3. Does it lift well, without tearing or pilling?
4. Can I use glazing techniques?
5. Can I do large, smooth washes?
6. Will it take masking fluid or tape?
7. Does the color blend cleanly on the paper?
8. How much does it warp or buckle? 

POSITIVES:

I did like how the brush felt on the paper, and I could do some wet-into-wet IF it was not over a large area. Flowers worked nicely. I had no problem glazing - although I only tried three layers. I think the colors looked clean and vibrant on the paper. I like the SMOOTH texture of the paper. It also is a very SOFT paper. 

NEGATIVES:

I didn't get smooth washes over a LARGE area. (which is why I didn't get a larger size to try). 
When I tried lifting, the paper tends to "pill" up, even though I use a very soft lifting brush. It was better when I used lifting prep on the paper. It won't take a lot of punishment . I tried blue painters tape, and it came off fine without tearing, but it did not like masking fluid. Maybe it was the brand. Also, you can only paint on ONE SIDE. The other, smoother side is streaky and doesn't absorb the paint as well. It is advertised as 140 pound, but it doesn't feel as substantial as, say Arches, Frabriano Artistico, or Heritage. It seems to absorb the paint a little faster, so it's hard to soften an edge. 

WOULD I RECOMMEND BEE?

Actually, I'd say yes to that if it suits the way you paint. I think it's fine for making cards (I still haven't tested it in a printer) and small paintings that don't take a lot of punishment. You have pretty good control over the paint. You could also use it with water color pencil or pen and ink, since the paper is smoother than many. It would be a handy size for making sample pages of paint or practicing strokes, since the paper feels and reacts to the brush like the good paint. It's a good way to keep your brushes wet without a huge paper expense. 

But would I start a painting that I plan to put in a show? Probably not. 

If you like using sketchbooks, Bee makes one that is 100% cotton rag--but again, you can only use one side of the paper. Not a problem for a lot of people


No comments: