Thursday, May 16, 2019

TO GRID OR NOT TO GRID....

GRIDDING A DRAWING

Before going into the WHY of gridding, I'm just going to walk through how I do it.
Gridding is a way of copying, enlarging, or shrinking an image, usually a photograph. I am inherently lazy, so it cost me some time to figure out how to save myself time. I created grids of different sizes (you can download patterns from different web sites, but I created mine on Xcel.) I printed them on overhead projector transparencies. (These can only be printed on one side, and most only on an inkjet printer. Can even print in color)

These transparencies make it so I don't have to hand draw new grids every single time I need one. I can place the small grid over the image I want to enlarge or examine. 


Then I tape TRACING PAPER over the larger grid and draw directly on the tracing paper.
After I have finished the drawing, making whatever changes I want, I will then transfer it to my watercolor paper, either with saral, or, more likely, with my light box.


OTHER WAYS TO USE IT

You CAN grid a still life or something you are drawing from life.  I tape the grid to a piece of plexiglas and prop it in front of me so I can see the object. Trying to photograph the transparency/plexiglas/flower was a bit much for my camera, so it's blurry. 


Below you can see my grid on the plexiglas, then the vase behind it. This helps me get proportions and placement of petals more correct. 


In addition to making transprencies, you can also just print out grids and draw straight on them, any size you want. If you want to, you can take your photograph, make a copy, then run it through the printer again, printing a grid on top of it. (if you are not trying to preserve that photo)
Lots of ways to make it easier for yourself.

TO BE HONEST: I mostly save gridding for two things: portraits that have to be totally accurate; and checking my own work for correct angles, comparing sizes and shapes on my drawing to my reference, or getting correct perspective when drawing from life. (Ex: in class we checked the head of a bird by laying a grid over it and noticed it wasn't the correct shape.) Also if the pattern is super complex, and it has to be accurate.

There is something about looking at your picture through squares that helps you see better. Or is that just my brain?


WHY GRID INSTEAD OF JUST ENLARGING YOUR PHOTO?

Most of the time, especially if I'm in a hurry and accuracy is not necessary, I do that. No shame in that, especially if it is my photo and I've made my own adjustments to the composition. However, gridding forces you to really look at the details and nuances in a picture. If you trace, you are likely to trace the shadow of something rather than the object. On a tree, no big deal. On someone's face, it is. Also, in tracing, you are more likely to trace everything, important or not. Gridding makes you make decisions about what you really want in that composition.  

It is also making you DRAW. It will make you better at seeing, comparing, and drawing. So I don't promote one or the other, but if your goal is to draw better, gridding is a good way to start.


No comments: