Friday, July 31, 2020

PEN AND WASH: PETUNIAS

PHOTO REFERENCE: MY MOTHER'S DAY GIFT



 I got a little petunia plant for Mother's Day, and it's been growing! I wanted to paint it,
and decided to use pen and ink. I sent this to my Mom for her birthday.



PAPER: Arches rough, 90 lb. 8 x 10
PAINTS: Quin pink; magenta; green gold; lunar blue; French ultramarine; burnt sienna; raw sienna;
INK PEN: Brown Sharpie


Starting with a basic drawing. 


I decided the flowers needed a softer treatment, so I did my inking in browns..
I used a small scribbling on the planter. Countour lines on the table wood.
Cross hatching for the shadow on the table. Countours on the flower petals.
Some hatching and tiny scribbles on leaves. 

After looking at the final picture, I wish I had angled the shadow on the table more like a 25 degree
angle...it looks more like a 40 degree angle.
 

I

First wash: loosely covering the leaf areas with green gold. It helps
me distinguish between what is flower and what is leaf.


Second wash: darkening the greens in the shadows by mixing green gold and french ultramarine.


For the table, I put a wash of raw sienna (or ochre). While it was still damp, I added burnt sienna.
To the shadow area, I added some French ultramarine to create a dark brown. You could also
use a dark brown like burnt umber or van dyke brown.


I finally get to add color to the flowers. I wet them first and dropped in quinacridone pink. I used a darker magenta on the centers and shadows.


I just used lunar blue on the pot. You can use whatever colors you like...
my original pot is a bit of a gray.


FINAL TOUCHES: I lifted some highlights in the flowers and a few leaves.
I blushed in a little pink in the leaves. I also darkened the shadow


Pretty happy with the result overall.


No comments: