Sunday, July 12, 2020

QUESTION: What if the contact paper/packing tape leaves a residue on your painting?



As noted in the last blog, You should test your paper first. Most 100% cotton cold press respond well to having tapes. Hot press and mixed papers either tear or sometimes leave a sticky residue.

I am experimenting with some fixes.

Here you see an old painting done on hot press that I gave up on because, unknown to me, hot press doesn't like contact paper.

On the far left tulip, I made a watery mix of YES paste and water. I carefully painted over the left flower. The water lifts the previous paint and can smear it if you are not careful. So don't use a large brush and try to wash over the entire painting at one time on any of these methods.

On the middle tulip, I used matte medium straight out of the container, no mixing. I started in the white/lighter areas and worked my way carefully to other areas, trying not to lift the paint underneath.

The third right tulip is using a straight application of TRANSPARENT WATERCOLOR GROUND by Daniel Smith. You have to let it "cure" for 24-48 hours before painting on it again, so I have to wait to see how this works out.

What I expect is that ALL of these mediums will SEAL the adhesive so it doesn't feel tacky to the touch and can be painted over. The YES paste and matte medium will result in a looser, almost "slip and slide" effect. Don't know what to expect of the ground. I've used white ground before, and it didn't have the same texture as the paper, but it worked for some spots. I'm anxious to see if this works. Fingers crossed. Check back with me for results in a few days.

No comments: