Sunday, January 22, 2012

FOR THE BIRDS


I was reminded that I've never posted my paintings from the trip to Parrot Island, a bird sanctuary in Tennessee that we visited on our last reunion.

The first is a sun conure, done in watercolor pencils. I really enjoyed teaching myself more about watercolor pencils and doing an entire painting in them. Until this time, I'd only used the pencils for touch ups or details that were hard for me to do with just a brush. (I don't have steady hands with tiny brushes.)

The second of the blue parrots was one I considered a total flop. The original background was just too muddy. But I cropped away until it was this skinny, used it as a bookmark, and I like it way better. (Backgrounds are my weakest area)

This bird was also in the sanctuary. I believe it eventually landed on my sister Judy's hair. We were able to get into the large cage and photograph these birds.
This little guy is done on regular 140 lb Arches cp, doing the background wash before anything else was painted.

No comments: