Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Andy Warhol style portraits

 In one of my classes, I am teaching about Pop art, Andy Warhol style. Why not?
He was the best known artist of my growing up years. This lesson was on portraits done Warhol style...photographic, flattened to two or three values.    The first step was to find a good photo...had to be somebody famous and glamorous, someone Warhol would choose. (picture #1) Then I photo-shopped it to black and white and flattened it to just a few values. (picture #2) The students then copied it four times on their sketch pads. (Warhol loved repetition) They had to use three colors, using different color scheme for each of the four. Picture #3 shows Grant's final product: Portrait of Johnny Depp. I loved how these turned out. (more student work to come)

No comments: