Friday, February 15, 2019

PUTTING IT TOGETHER: COLOR MIXING METHODS ON BUTTERFLY

PART 1

This was from a photograph taken last September of a monarch that landed on my zinnias. I added an extra flower on the left to balance out the picture.


Next I masked (miskit) out the white spots on the butterfly and the light centers. I could have painted the centers yellow and then masked that, but I didn't. 


The next steps all used knowledge I gained from studying color mixes ahead of time. These first few took advantage of color charging methods. I found that the four colors I wanted to use were Rose Madder Lake, Azo Yellos, cobalt blue, and green. 

I mixed an orange and pulled out a little bit and dulled it with a little cobalt blue for the underside of the right hand wing. I wet the entire wing, painted the right wing with the dulled down orange and the left with the dark orange. While wet I added some rose madder to the left and a little cobalt blue in some areas.


I did the flower centers next, wetting them, adding yellow, and then dropping in (again, charging) some oranges and blues to create some texture.


The flowers created by wetting them first, applying rose madder lake, and charging some yellows in some places and cobalt where there might be shadow, especially the center areas. The stems are also done, wet, with a yellow or orange base, and charging in some greens and blues, with a little rose.

Next week: finishing the painting using other color mixing methods, like glazing and mixing darks on the palette.

No comments: