Thursday, October 31, 2019

IRIS IN GRISAILLES (Ooh, that sounds French!)


As promised, here is the version of Iris portrait done in grisailles, or more accurately, brunailles, since the underpainting is burnt sienna.

I chose to do this on hot press paper because I thought it might hold onto the underpainting better. (meaning that the under-paint would not dissolve too much when I put a wet glaze over it.)

I did an underpainting of the values similar to previous grisailles. In areas that would have a pure color, such as the iris of the eye, the lips, and the pinker, fresher skin tones, I did no underpainting. The finished underpainting looked very similar to the monochrome version, with no color added to those areas I mentioned.

Next, I glazed over the face with skin tone base made from raw sienna and magenta (or permanent rose). I wet the entire face and hair areas first, including the lips, then glazed the skin tones. While it was still wet, I added more rose in the cheeks, nose tip, and side of the face.

I was pretty pleased with the results. This is the first time I've tried a watercolor portrait with this method.


No comments: