Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Finishing the African Ladies Trio

 I know this is a day late and a dollar short, but I wanted to finish discussing the color version of this painting. Here is the finished color version.



The buckets on their heads needed some definition and some form, so I shaded them to give them a more round effect. (here is what they looked like before I did that)


I wanted to put in little mounds on the sides of the hill.


I darkened the shadows beneath the hems of the skirts. I also connected the shadows to the feet.


I went the top of the hill about 2 inches and added a blend of green, magenta, and burnt orange for a distant background.


I added some patterns to two of the skirts, and lifted out some highlights, especially in the folds and in the buckets on their heads. I also darkened shadows on the skin. I also darkened the road on the bottom to give even more of a feeling of the hill.

I think it would be interesting to do a notan of the colored picture to see how close the values come to my value study. 

No comments: