Friday, February 5, 2010

20 minute challenge week 3






Here are images of a 20-minute challenge that our class has taken. Sandy Maudlin challenged us to paint 3 20-minute paintings a week. (But she promises to up the ante later on) She got this from another artist that you can find on Sandy's blog. The rules are simple: set your timer for 20 minutes and paint FROM A 3-D OBJECT IN FRONT OF YOU , not a picture. Drawing is an option, but that has to be part of the 20-minutes. So most of these are not drawn first--the only one I drew a little on first is the candle and sconce. These are in the same order I did them. Note the basket is a bit torn...Katy's dog truly ate my homework!


I found some advantages. For one thing, anyone can commit to 20 minutes. Once you've done that 20 minutes, you're "in the zone" and want to paint more. Another is that you're freer to experiment with papers and paint--it's just a 20-minute investment. So some of these are on regular paper, some on yupo. (The ones that look really shiny are yupo). Some are watercolor, two are watercolor pencil.

So...if you're up to the challenge...Try it! (these are posted in the order that I painted them.)

1 comment:

irinapictures said...

Great idea! I will try it for sure. "Freer" is the main word for me. Yours "experiments" look very completed and harmonious.