Thursday, August 31, 2017

USING PERMANENT MASKING FLUID

MEDIUM OF THE WEEK is permanent masking fluid.


It is a wax instead of latex base. The bottom row of this photo was my experiment with it.
I used just one layer on the circle on the left; 2 layers on the next circle; 3 layers on the 3rd circle. The pink circle is mask mixed with some permanent magenta paint. On the end I painted a red square. When it was dry, I put the permanent masking fluid over it in the shape of an X. Then I painted blue over the whole thing.

What is different about this is that you have to go back over the dried painting with water on your brush to blot the extra paint off the masking fluid. (With removable mask, you just peel it all off.)

Using only one layer didn't seem to mask out as much as I'd like. 2 layers was plenty, as there was no change with adding a third layer.  I did like that it did a good job of preserving a color underneath it, as in the red X.

Disadvantages: It is hard to see the area you have masked until you paint over it. Also, you can't paint over the area once it is masked out, so it should be something you want to keep white. It leaves a slightly softer edge than removable masking.

Some people don't like the waxy shine it leaves. (It didn't bother me, though.) You can diminish the shine by going over it with a hair dryer.

No comments: