Thursday, October 26, 2017

HOW TO MOUNT A WATERCOLOR PAINTING ON CRADLE BOARD

If you're wondering if you can mount your watercolors without frame and glass, the answer is YES!
Here are two web sites that you can use. There are only two mediums you will need, acrylic gel and clear, archival varnish.

I only have a few comments that may not be clear in the web sites. #1: These are mounted on boards that have been gessoed ahead of time. There needs to be a barrier between the painting, which is acid free, and the wood board. If the board is not pre-treated (with gesso or other primer) it can damage your painting.

#2: When I use a brayer, I put wax paper between my painting and my brayer so I don't accidetally get gel on the painting.

#3 I use WEIGHTS to hold down the paper while it is drying. I turn mine upside down on a clean board (covered with wax or butcher paper) and add weight to the back of the cradle board to insure a flat, air free seal.

I did this stargazer lily about a year ago, and I'm still happy with the results. It is on a 12 x 12inch,
1 1/2 inch cradle board. I had to seal the wood myself with a sealant first. I used GAC-100 from Golden to seal the wood first. I glued the painting to the wood with gel.  I used Krylon Kamar Varnish (acid free, non yellowing) in two coats as a final finish.




As this first web site points out, you can mount blank paper on a board and paint it afterward. It can also be mounted on canvas, but I like the board best.

https://paintingdemos.com/mounting-a-watercolor-painting-on-a-cradled-panel-board-a-step-by-step-tutorial/
Step by step instructions


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAJnDhTpDc
Annie Strack's video

There are a number of web sites that demonstrate this process.

There's a lot to like about this process. It is light weight. There is no glass. And you don't have to pay for glass and frame. I paid about $12 for the cradle board on sale.

No comments: