Sunday, December 3, 2017

FINISHING THE PUPPY

TO PAINT THE EYES:



Make sure you have drawn the eyes the same size and the iris is very round. Paint the entire iris with quin gold and dry. Dampen the eye area, and, starting at the top of the eye, paint with burnt orange and gradually add some french ultramarine blue to make it more brown. (Painting from the top down allows some of the quin gold to show at the bottom and makes the eye rounder as it moves from dark to light) When the eye is dry, darken the pupil. Pick out a small hilight with the point of a razor.

THE NOSE:

The nose is sort of a plum color made from cobalt violet and some quin burnt orange (or burnt sienna). The nostrils are darker at the tops, and there is a little highlight on the tip. It is darker on the right side and on the bottom.

BACKGROUND:



I wanted the fur to have a golden-red hue, and the background to bring it out. But a pretty blue, the complement of orange, would be competing. So I used cerulean mixed with German Greenish Raw Umber (raw umber with dull green) to make a more subdued and granulated background. I have some work to do yet, but I'm happy with the overall effect.

FINISHING:



I needed to continue to paint in some of the curls in the fur. When I got it the way I wanted, I began lifting hilights. Starting with the ears I lifted some of the areas to soften. Soften the areas that may have hard edges from the miskit.

Use a razor blade to get back some of the fine hairs that may have been lost in the fur. Also pick out hilight in the eyes if that has been lost and the whiskers if you want them to show.






No comments: