Friday, March 22, 2019

Finishing the Arum


In the last blog I talked about using grays as midtones, and then glazing over the grays with color to create a white flower. Here are my final changes on the lily.

I continued to glaze the greens on the stem, using the same color blend, but adding French ultramarine into the darker areas. I went around the tips of the white petal with a pale green made from the cerulean/azo mix. I strenghthened the shadow in the deepest part of the lily around the stamen. (still don't know if it's a stamen or pistol) I made a few veins in the flower. And finally, I cleaned up edges by lifting paint, and then lifted some of the ridges in the flower.

Notice that this is the same pattern, but the one on the left seems to cup inward, and the one on the right seems to make an outward curve on the top right. That's only because of the direction I lifted out the paint on the first wash in the shadows.

No comments: