Thursday, January 30, 2020

Demo on Complementary Colors

Here is a VERY quick demo done to show how much variety you can get with just one set of complementary colors.

Below is a quick sketch of a wooden barn, a bucket, and some leaves.



I used French Ultramarine and burnt sienna. The orange in the burnt sienna makes it a complement of the French Ultramarine. First I "neutralized" the blue with just a touch of burnt sienna and painted in a sky around the barn.  Next, for the gray of the barn wood, I mixed a gray from the French ultramarine and burnt sienna and applied it to the barn wood. As it was drying, I spattered some water on it to make the wood look weathered. Looks pretty sloppy right now.


After all that dried, I put an underlayer of yellow on the leaves. After they dried, I mixed
a green with yellow and French and glazed it over the leaves.
For the bucket, I covered the entired bucket with burnst sienna and then, starting on the right side, 
I added French ultramarine for shadow. The sediment in the two colors combine nicely to create rust.
I painted the rusty nail the same way, and darkened the inside of the bucket with blue also.

To make the lines in the wood, I made a dark mix, again of FUM and burnt sienna, and painted it onto the edge of a credit card, then pressed the credit card down where I wanted a line and pulled it down.
This is a great way to make straight lines.
There's a bit of shadow using French ultramarine.
I used a total of three colors, and got quite a variety from blues to greens to grays, browns, and oranges. 


This is not meant to be a work of art, but a quick demo on using complements.

A note on French Ultramarine: I recently discovered that French ultramarine and ultramarine are not the exact same. French has a red bias and granulates more; ultramarine has more of a green bias with less granulating properties. And they make a fine grained ultramarine with no granulation at all. (I think it's Schminke)
To read more about the history of this color, read this:


No comments: