Thursday, May 7, 2020

STRATHMORE AQUARIUS II PAPER

I just want to put in a word for what is probably the only Strathmore Watercolor Paper I like.
(They make other great papers, but, except for their highest grade of 500, well...I like other wc papers much better)

This paper is called Strathmore Aquarius II. It is 80 lb paper, and it is NOT 100% cotton. It is part synthetic. It is acid-free and considered cold press.

As far as I know, it is sold in sheets and tablets. (both Blicks and Cheap Joes carry it. I think Plaza does too) It has a smoother surface which makes it great for pen and wash. Some mixed media artists apply gesso to it and paint that way.

Its claim to fame is that it doesn't buckle or warp like other papers, especially the 90 and 80 lb weights. It can be used for print making, inks, card making, (stamping) and other media. 

One thing I like about it is that I can easily run it through my printer. It accepts black ink and color ink equally well. And then, if I choose, I can paint on a line drawing that I've printed on the paper.

This paper is lovely. Not perfect, but I like it, and have used it occasionally for about ten years. It DOES NOT LIKE miskit or contac paper. But it does take glazes and it does lift nicely.

No comments: