Thursday, August 20, 2020

Beginner class on sailboats on lake

 


I was going through some old paintings from when I first began to paint, and came across a lesson from Sandy Maudlin's. I thought, with a few adjustments, it would make a good lesson on textures, specifically fog, using masking tape, usuing a straw, and making impressions.

So here's the start. First, lightly divide up your space with a pencil: about 1/4 up for shoreline, middle 1/3 for lake, rest for sky and maybe mountains or treeline in background. Then tape some different size triangles cut from your painters tape. Put the larger ones lower on the lake area, smallest on the upper part of lake, middle sized in between. This will create a feeling of distance and perspective.

For the foggy effect, begin with your sky color. Honestly, it doesn't have to be a sky color, but I did it for this demo. Slightly tilt the paper and wet the top half of the paper. I used a 1 inch flat brush for the wash. Starting at the top, apply the sky color, and grade the wash until it disappears by the time you reach the center.

Then I turn the paper upside down (because it is more comfortable for me when doing washes to work dark to light). Then I wet the bottom half (ending just before I got to the wet top half) and did a wash of raw sienna. It needs to fade to almost nothing in the center. If the two halves' colors mingle a bit, it's not a big deal. 

You could do this monochrome, with the top and bottom halves the same color.

No comments: