Friday, October 23, 2020

WATERCOLOR ARTISTS THAT I FOLLOW

 Below is an update on artists that I occasionally follow on youtube and why.

Eric Lin/Cafe Watercolor

Eric is a talented young artist that has a very relaxed style that I find refreshing and unrushed. He will discuss a subject briefly, then do a demo that illustrates that subject. His paintings are often loose landscapes or city scapes, but he does other subjects. He emphasizes the feeling of light and connection in his paintings.

He also offers online classes, but I get a lot out of his youtubes.


Louise DeMasi

Louise is a lovely Australian artist who paints the way I'd love to paint. She does a lot of birds and animals, and has wonderful tips. She often paints wet into wet, and you know I love that style. Check out her youtubes...there are quite a few.


Jean Haines

Jean was a botanical artist from Britain (I think she's Welsh) who challenges herself to keep her work exciting. She now paints in a very loose manner and has a wonderful enthusiasm to go with her wealth of knowledge. And she prides herself on sharing her paintng secrets. She doesn't have very many youtubes to follow, but she does have a website and online art school. (Just google Jean Haines Online Art School)  A free subscription gives a few tutorials and practices; or you can join by the month or year. (It's about $20 a month). That gives access to all her tutorials and practices. She has also published at least 4 books on loose painting.


Andrew Geeson

If you want just a short fun practice, try Andrew Geeson. This is another Brit who has several tutorials on youtube. If you join his website, it costs $10 a month, and you have access to about 140 or more tutorials. Each one is short and usually done on small paper. The tutorials on his website are a little more detailed than what you find on his youtubes. I have several friends who go on there weekly to do the new one. I took my computer on vacation so our group could do a painting together (and I didn't have to be the teacher). I like to go there when I have a half hour or hour to do a warm up or just get out of a rut.



No comments: