Friday, January 27, 2023

Loose Floral finishing touches

 Here is what the floral looked like just after removing masking.



The first thing I did was to remove that green leaf on the left that bothered me. I used Bleed Proof White to cover it up. After it dries, you can paint over Bleed Proof White, which is why I used that instead of gouache. I had tried removing it by lifting it, but it must have been a staining paint, because it didn't remove at all. 
The next thing I did was figure out where I want to add darks and hard edges. I put a piece of clear plexiglas over the painting and used markers on the plexiglas to indicate changes I want to make. Below you see just the plexiglas after I put dry erase marker on it.




Below you can see the plexiglas over the original painting with the changes I wan to make.



In class I handed out tracing paper for people to put over their paintings. They made the changes on the tracing paper, then penciled in on the painting the changes they like. Below you can see the painting after I made some of the changes. 
I added some green to separate some roses. I added a few strokes into the rose petals. I used credit card and squeegie to make stems, and did some final touches with a small brush.


If doing the foxglove, add stems and some darks before removing the masking. Using a small brush, lightly shade the white ones, using some pale blue. You can strengthen the color in the colored ones.
They don't have to look outlined, but you do want them to be hard edged on at least one side.



You can sponge or spatter some whites (gouache or white acrylic) if you want to.

Next week I'll show how to use pastels to make corrections/changes. 


BRAG TIME

Tho none of these is completely finished, I want to show the diversity of styles:

This uses skinny tape to mask off straight edges, and sponges cut into leaf shapes for leaves. Contact paper on flowers and miskit on the white table. 


This one uses some spattered miskit, miskit in some petals, and contact paper over some areas that had been painted pink. She used credit card on leaves and vase.


This one used sponged on miskit, credit card on the vase and stems, and some sponged on paint on the flowers. Also daisies were miskit. 


This one is a large sheet of 300 pound paper with a torn arch at the top. She sponged on some miskit, then sponged on some paint. Used credit card on stems and vase, and some spattering at the end. 






 








No comments: