Sunday, April 1, 2018

ROCKS & TREES TOGETHER


The reference for this picture came from this photo, from a free web site. 



I cropped and simplified the photo to come up with this sketch.



Continueing with the idea of doing a value study, I found my darkest darks first, marking those with pen. This time I went to some of my medium values and penciled those in. (This is not
a complete value study, just beginning.) I marked where there are darker values in the leaves and sky.


This picture shows the subject drawn onto my watercolor paper. Using a brown watercolor pencil, I put in my darkest darks. CAUTION: Do NOT put them in with a heavy hand. Even though these will be my darkest darks, I am mostly using this to help me find my way through the painting. 



I used watercolor pencil for several reasons. I wanted to offer an alternative to painting the darks. Some people are more comfortable and less threatened by the pencil.They can take their time with it.  I also like the texture the pencil gives to the trees and rocks.  

I also limited this to two colors, to take the focus away from "What color do I use?" and allow for more focus on finding good values and shapes. I chose burnt umber and either yellow ochre or raw sienna mixed with a little yellow. 

After painting (or penciling) in the darks on the tree and rocks, using a damp brush, loosen some of the paint (or pencil) from one side of the rock and soften it onto the shape behind it. This should leave one hard edge to define the shape of the rock, and a soft edge to help color the shape behind it. 

I ran a damp brush over the entire tree, which loosened some of the pencil and made a light wash on the trunk. Using raw sienna, I painted the smooth water of the creek. Then using a sponge, I sponge painted some of the foliage in yellow ochre. When that dried I sponged again in a slightly darker value, adding a bit of umber to the ochre. Since this is the light value, you don't have to be overly careful.


When dry, I used a brush with a medium value of ochre/umber mix to negative paint in the spaces between branches and leaves, leaving some hard edges to indicate the leaves.

The painting isn't completed yet. I will finish up the rocks, add some darker tones to the tree, and refine some areas. Will post it again when it is finished. 

Some people asked how to calm down some of the brown in their paintings. French ultramarine or cobalt blue will work well over them to create cooler or grayer colors for bark.





No comments: