Sunday, September 8, 2019

Elephants: masa paper wrapped on gallery board

I wanted to see if I could 
mount a masa paper version of the elephant on a gallery wrapped board (not canvas). This is how I began:

Before wrinkling or wetting the paper, I drew the picture on with ultra fine sharpie. Then I wrinkled the paper, soaked it in water, and washed over the background with cerulean blue, quin coral, and azo yellow. 




Before mounting the picture, I began darkening some of the areas, specifically the elephants in the background and adding more warms to the foreground elephant; also the dark crevices in the rocks.


When I got as far as I could without mounting, I began to mount the painting on 12 x 16 board.I used YES paste. I smoothed it on over the main surface OF THE BOARD (not the paper) and spread it with a squeegie, making sure it was completely covered. Then,  I placed the painting onto the paste, covered it with wax paper (or parchment paper) and smoothed the painting out from the center to the outside. Use a breyer or rolling pin to work out the wrinkles. 

Then, one side at a time, spread the paste onto a side and smooth down the side, also using the wax paper and breyer.

When all sides are smoothed down, you can cut off the extra edges with an exacto knife.




I have a little more detail that I want to add, but not too much. Then I will show how to varnish the surface so that it can be hung without glass. 

No comments: