Monday, September 16, 2019

Cathy Johnson's hand made journal

I don't normally post a blog before I do it in class but I thought it would be useful for you to see this before class.

I am posting a link to the video in which Cathy Johnson shows how to make a maze journal.

(4) Make a Super-Quick No-Sew Folding Journal - YouTube

This is how mine turned out. For the cover I used a painting that I did with brusho, but wasn't completely happy with. I cut it in half, used the top of the mermaid for the front and the bottom tail for the back.

Front



Back




Pocket made in middle of journal




I sealed it with varnish after adhering it to mat board cut to 5 and 3/4 inches by 7 3/4 inches. I used wax on the back, just to see how it looked. I put the gel in the hair and glued on crushed shells. For the band to hold the journal together, I used a headband and glued a sea shell to it.

This journal is landscape, but you can make it portrait just by cutting it differently. (Instead of cutting lengthwise as Cathy Johnson shows, cut it on the short sides). It is 5 1/2 by 7 1/2 inches. You can also make it completely accordian, if that's your preference.

So now I'm excited to see what you will come up with for covers. Here are some ideas:

Greeting cards you love
Masa paper
Messed up paintings
Pieces cut off yupo paintings
Wall paper
Wrapping paper
Cloth scraps
Collage

Supplies needed:

22 x 30 sheet of wc paper
I used 90 lb saunders Waterford.-- I'll provide that in class

Pieces of mat board
Craft knife and sharp blade
Straight edge
Glue (or Modge Podge, matte medium, etc.)
Embellishments









No comments: