Friday, May 5, 2017

ATOMIC TENNIS SHOE--POURING PAINT

This reference is a very old photo my husband took years ago. He'd placed a black light in the shoe, turned off the lights, and photgraphed it. It looked so cool, I had to paint it.


 The first picture shows the sketch I am working from with the areas of my first miskit marked out in orange.




For the first pour, I used new gamboge, permanent rose, and cobalt blue. I mixed (what I thought was) a thin mixture of each in small cups. It's important to mix the paint thoroughly. You want a fairly light wash first, and each following wash will get gradually darker. 
Then I wet my entire paper thoroughly, and holding my painting at an angle, poured yellow and let it drizzle on the paper. then I poured the permanent rose, allowing it to mix with the yellow. Last, I poured blue. I liked my result, put I think it's darker than I intended in some spots. Oh well, that's part of the fun, the unpredictability. 
There are several ways of pouring some more controlled than others. Do what works for you!!!


Below is my second map, showing where I will miskit next. Normally I would have tried to make the entire map first, with four or five values noted. But I wanted to try to teach how to use this map, and it it makes more sense for me to do it one miskit at a time. The colors do not indicate what color or value I will pour. They only indicate which areas I should cover up next.



More next time!

But please check out sites on pouring to refresh your memory and to see some amazing things artists have done with this technique. Jean Grastorf has beautiful work, but not many you-tubes. Linda Baker, Leslie Redhead, Linda Smith Latimer, and Catherine Martha Holmes are just a few that have some informative you-tubes on this subject. 

No comments: