Saturday, September 23, 2017

FINISHING THE YELLOW CANOE


To finish the reflections on the canoe, first I taped off the water line and imitated the reflections to make the trees. The purpose of the tape was to keep me from losing the shore of the lake.

One by one, I began defining my background trees and accompanying reflections. I started with the tree trunks to the right of the boat, using negative painting. Then I painted their reflections, keeping the reflection a little softer, a little darker than the object.  I painted in the little evergreen to the right of that, then painted in the reflection. Little by little I worked my way across the shore of the lake, defining some trees, bushes, and weeds. After each one, I painted its reflection so I didn't lose track of what should be reflected in the water.

No comments: