Friday, September 22, 2017

MEDIUM OF THE WEEK: DANIELSMITH MASKING FLUID

MASKING MEDIUMS

I just got some Daniel Smith masking fluid with 5 tips for applying it in narrow lines. I really liked it for making tiny lines, letters, etc. You have to clean the tip out right away, though, or it will clog or make bubbles instead of a nice line. You can remove the lid and paint it on the paper too.

I liked this a lot. I wish it were a color though, because I like to see where I've put the masking fluid without hunting for it. I also wish it came with suggestions as to how to clean the tips!  I think it's a good value for the money, though. I can think of lots of uses: lettering in a painting; fur; waves on water; hair hilights; small details in portraits.

I also checked out the Susan Scheewe crayons. These are colorless wax for keeping a permanent white on the paper. I can see lots of uses, (sparkle of water, blocking out paint after a wash) but you have to carefully PLAN your whites. Once you apply this wax, you can't put color on it or soften the edges. I want to see if using parafin will do the same thing. A package of 4 cost about $5.

No comments: