Friday, September 15, 2017

MEDIUM OF THE WEEK: IRIDESCENT MEDIUM

Iridescent medium adds a glitter and shine to the paint. You can either add it to the paint itself to make it like the iridescent paint you can buy. Or you can paint it over a dry painting. If you are making prints of your painting, I would not recommend putting it directly on your painting, but adding it to the print.
For example, if I made a painting of a poinsettia for a Christmas card, and wanted to make prints to mail to friends, I would print first and then paint the iridescent on top of the printed card.

What happens is the iridescence distorts the light on a print. The printer doesn't know how to read it.
On the top picture I've added iridescence to the moon and cloud. In person it looks shiny, but it's not really noticeable on the copy.

In this poppy I've added iridescence to the bottom right petals. It looks lighter than the other petals, but in person it looks shiny. The camera just doesn't know how to read it.


If you plan to enter your painting in a purist show, I don't think they'd accept the iridescent medium. Other water media shows would be fine. 

No comments: