Friday, September 8, 2017

PAINTING WATERCOLOR ON GESSO

Last week's blog discussed how to prepare a board or sheet of paper to paint watercolor on gesso.

Here is one project done on 300 pound paper that has a layer of gesso on it.
I used Karlyn Holman's idea of applying background color: choose 4 or 5 colors that go well together, and go around the paper applying the paint in the same order several times, in this case quin gold, hansa yellow, cerulean blue, permanent rose, repeated three times. (Described in her book Watercolor--the Spirit of Spontaneity) You can plan whites or lift them out with a paper towel before it dries.




After dried, I drew a pattern on the dry gesso. This is  a modified version from Wendy Tait's book that has some flower pattern's in it. (Ready to Paint: Watercolor Flowers)



This is a "subtractive method" of painting, meaning that you first remove some of the paint to make your objects appear. Using a stiff brush, I removed paint on the petals where I either wanted white or needed to paint another color over it. Where you see the gray is where staining colors left a "ghost" color and did not completely remove.



When I'd removed all I needed (paint removes easily without scrubbing on gesso, but staining colors can leave a "ghost" color, which is all right), I began to paint in the areas that needed a darker value.
I will add more details to finish the painting.



No comments: