Thursday, August 15, 2019

MORE ON PLANNING A PAINTING

I did a second color study, where the background was cool and the foreground elephant a warmer color. Wasn't as happy with that as the other one. So I think I'll stick with the first color choice.
Note: When doing a color study, be sure to note which colors you used. You THINK you'll remember, but......maybe not.



First color study



Second color study: cool background, warm fore



I also decided I wanted to do this elephant as a grisaille: painting the values first. But whether to do the grisailles in gray/black or burnt umber, I couldn't decide. So I made this little value study half gray and half black.




Then I glazed over it to see what the colors looked like over my grisailles.


So we have a split opinion: hubby likes the gray, and I like the brown, except that it "lifted" more than the gray when I washed over it with color.  Opinions?






No comments: