Thursday, August 8, 2019

Using a journal for planning, Part 2



After looking at my value study from the previous blog, I realized that I didn't want the elephants on the left to be so prominant. So I made another sketch on a 5 x 7 drawing paper from my journal.


I did another value study on 5 x 7 Fabriano from my journal. This time I used burnt umber.
Where you see some white patches are the places that got too dark when I painted, so I painted gouache over to let me know I want a lighter value there.




Remeember, I made 3 simple sketches of my picture, with the help of my light box. Now I'm ready to experiment with the colors I think I might want to use.
My first idea was to make a warm sunset in the background and make the background elephants less distinct. With a warm background, I thought the elephants would show up better in a cool neutral. So I tested (you can see on the left of the picture that I tested and labeled right on the picture) these four together: Cobalt blue, quin coral Azo yellow, and quin gold. 


When doing this step, keep the shapes simple with no real detail. Try to keep it to fewer than 15 shapes, including the negative spaces as their own shapes. What you are trying to see is which colors work well together and create the colors you want. So keep the initial colors to 3 or 4. 

Make other color studies using a different set of basic colors. This is a good time to experiment. You might be surprised what colors work well together.

In addition to figuring out a color plan, you'll also discover other things you might want to change: moving a tree or a house over; adding clouds; lowering the horizon line; connecting shapes; etc. 

Below is the final sketch I made for the picture. This is on sketch paper. I didn't really need for it to be so detailed, but I was having too much fun shading and making wrinkles on the elephants.

When you are happy with your value study and color study, you can sketch out the final drawing on the size paper you want to use. I may use masa paper. I think the wrinkles will look good on it.




SOME HELPFUL VIDEOS

I'm still looking for a good video on color studies, but here are some others you might find helpful.

Below is an 11-minute youtube on thumbnail sketches you might like to watch. (Let me know if it doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UShPncjYYK0

Below is a link to Mind of Watercolor's 7 minute video on matching colors that you are trying to
make from your reference photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rdjyVnhbbA

Below is a 25 min video of Sterling Edwards doing a value study. 

https://www.jerrysartarama.com/free-art-instruction-videos/painting-a-value-study-watercolors-sterling-edwards?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkK_qBRD8ARIsAOteukAEXVltvEEkjo7V5KxjVv5oBYd4LJNjiF15vgWLQzszABD2TZ_sGLcaAowAEALw_wcB


No comments: