Friday, June 5, 2009

Dogwoods


While on a walk at Ludlow Hill Park I saw this dogwood tree in bloom and liked the odd ways some of the petals curled. Three weeks later I ended up with this. I really like the S-curve overall design and got some good advice from the class.

I painted on Canson (which I don't normally like because I like to lift, and Canson seems to destroy the paper when I lift.) Oddly enough, another painting that I really like I did on Canson - the '49 Hudson. (see previous blogs) I also tried putting lifting preparation under the petals to see if it helped any. I think it kept the Canson from losing its sizing completely. I'll have to try it on something I am more familiar with before I can make a judgment on lifting prep.

This original painting is 10 x 20 inches.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I really love the dogwood blossoms painting. It's very Japanese-watercolor-esk, but with your own touch. It's my favorite out of your most recent work