Friday, June 5, 2009

Tulip Batik


Candy gave me some beautiful red tulips for Easter. I photographed their progress as they blossomed, and loved how interesting the shapes were, when I normally associate tulips with kind of a boring same-same shape. We were doing batik in class, and I decided to take two blossoms and reverse the images in a quilt-like pattern.

The unmatted painting is about 15 x 16 inches.

Also, Sandy had some cool new "toys" to play with. As usual, my non-technical mind can't remember the names, but they are like copper stamps that you heat in the hot wax and stamp shapes, like the star, or leaf patterns on the side. I used a rice paper (again, name challenged) that had the checkered background. I like the result. The only draw-back was how fragile that rice paper is compared to kinwashe or thai unru.
I originally intended to mount these on a canvas. Sandy M. had done one, and boy, I loved the look!!!! I didn't though. Just mounted it on regular Canson, which gives a nice white undertone. Also Maryanne W. finished one last night, and it looks gorgeous!!! Maryanne, get a blog so we can see some of your beautiful work!!!

1 comment:

Sandy Maudlin said...

GREAT POSTS! Your kids you teach are lucky to have a devoted and well prepared teacher like you:-)

Tjanting (janting) tools are used to apply wax in a line, and tjaps (chops) are the copper stamps. Ichimatsu is the delicate, checkered rice paper. Now you're all set.

Great to see you at the party today!